Dana is two months old. I can't believe how the time has flown by. She went to the pediatrician on the 25th for her two month old well baby visit. Here are her statistics:
Weight - 8lbs 9 oz (25%)
Height - 22 inches (50%)
Head circumference - 15 inches
Dana also received her first set of vaccinations. She got 5 of them: DaPT, Hib, Polio, Prevnar (the pneumococcal conjugate vaccine), and Rotateq (for the rotavirus). 4 of them are shots and the last one is oral. Dana was a trooper. She screamed and turned a shade of red that I had never seen before, but that was expected. Shots and needles do not bother me at all, so I wasn't as distraught as most people are. I was kinda laughing at how worked up Dana was getting. Poor thing. It was good Ari wasn't there, because I don't think he could have stomached all the needles.
The shots knocked Dana on her butt for the next 6 hours though. She did wake up to feed, but she didn't open her eyes at all. Just cried when she was hungry. Plus she had this weird hiccup thing going on. It reminded me of when you cry so hard and you are trying to catch your breath. I freaked out and called the doctor at 6:30 PM. The nurse called me back and assured me that she was fine. She probably just worked herself up so much crying that she was exhausted. Or that she caught a stomach bug and the hiccup thing was her getting ready to throw up. Fortunately, at her next feeding she woke up and was fine. She had a bit of a fever (one of the side effects of the vaccines) so we gave her some Tylenol. She has been find since then.
Developmentally, Dana is doing okay. Since she was a month early, she is not going to be completely at the levels she should, unless, of course, she is a genius. The two areas that she is behind are: she isn't smiling yet or following an object with her eyes. We also need to work with her on her tummy time. She was doing really good the first month with picking up her head, but she hasn't improved much since then. So, 30 minutes a day of tummy time it is.
The last thing we need to work on with her is her eating. The morning of her doctor's appointment I upped her quantity from 73 mL (2.5 oz) to 80 mL (a little over 2.5 oz). She was waking up every 2 hours, so I figured she needed more. Well, the doctor said that at two months, the average baby is drinking 120 mL (about 4 oz). He said that we should increase her to that amount. That seems like a huge jump, so I am taking it slow. Today she is up to 90 mL. I'll keep increasing her as I see that she isn't spitting up a ton. By also increasing the amount she takes, she'll sleep longer. I am definitely okay with that!
Dana is awake a lot more and making cooing noises at us often. She is staring at you and starting to show a bit of personality. We'll keep you updated as she grows. In the meanwhile, here are some pictures for you to enjoy.
February 26, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment